These are the few of my favourite things..

Globally sensational song “Why this Kolaveri di” instigated a debate amongst not only us - the lesser mortals, but deservedly-famous and Big-Boss-kinds famous people as well. One thing was sure that everybody was talking about it. One argument goes that is it has 99 % English which bridges the gap between North India & South India and other might say that it’s the catchy rhythm which wouldn’t have left anyone not take a notice of it.

Not that I’m bothered about what any of the category of people have to say, all I know is I have been a fan of regional language songs from days as early as I can remember. If I like it, it wouldn’t matter if it was Hindi, regional or international. My argument was when Bollywood singers like Udit Narayan & Shreya Ghoshal or international singers like Akon, Kylie Minogue can sing in a language unknown to them then why can’t we as listeners enjoy the same.  This may be the argument just to put on papers but I know that deep inside my love for regional songs (at that time when I couldn’t understand the lyrics properly, not that I can do it today so well, but have internet at my disposal) has been right from my childhood, possibly the effect of being from Central school or Kendriya_Vidyalaya Sangathan (KVS) 

KVS would make sure that they teach us regional patriotic songs but once you start liking it, it just grows on you. I guess it’s like how people describe their liking to alcohol. The more variety you try the more you start appreciating it. Still fresh in my memory my favourites Asamese-Ae maati re, Tamil- Odi Vilayadu Pappa , Gujrati- Aakash Ganga or Marathi Jinku kinvaa maru . The crazy beats of Punjabi songs can make 1 -90 yr old get on their feet without being bothered as to what is actually being sung .Only certain words which would catch the attention would be good enough. Have a look at these guys Tunak Tunak Tun

It was almost as if someone had read my mind when Doordarshan came up with Mile Sur Mera Tumhara  a multi  language song.How I would love to imitate the song , for that matter even today almost sounding like a kid singing his first few rhymes in nursery .  A R Rehman didn’t really have to wait for Roja to be dubbed in Hindi because I remember few of my Non –Tamil acquaintances already owning the Tamil version. My classmates would die to get their hands on cassettes of  new hits of  Prabhu Deva when he  created waves with chiku puku -Gentleman or Urvashi Urvashi in Tamil.  Malayalam  lyrics in Jiya Jale gave the song an 
authenticity  plus a dose to my  hobby of  fiddling with those tongue twisters


                                                   Jiya Jale-Dil Se
Folk Dance on Bengali song-Dhitang Dhitang Bole or fisherman folk in Marathi Mi dolkar Daryacha opened a new door to the east and west part of India as well . A typical SD Burman song, Hemant kumar  or a Hindi songs inspired from Bengali songs Fule Fule Dhole Dhole( Parineeta ) would now make much more sense to me. Shubha Mudgals Bengali rendition in Dhoom pichak dhoom by  Euphoria  gives the song a different perspective . Ila Arun glamourised the Rajasthani  Folklore  –Resham ka roomal , Ghagro ghoomiyo.  I probably can go on and on and on...

With so many  languages and dialects,  there is still so much scope for more and more. Wouldn’t be surprised if we have many more hits like Kolaveri  but hoping that my  nostalgia probably may come handy or at least some source of inspiration for guys who instead of being creative are busy translating Koalveri  into other languages and flooding Facebook . C’mon.. Í think time to try something new . 

Comments

Post a Comment

What you think